Monday, February 20, 2012

Homemade Cilantro Crackers @ Vegan Prawn Crackers

Do you believe these are homemade vegan crackers a.k.a. vegan prawn crackers????

Yeap, they are homemade crackers alright ! And it's totally vegetarian. Don't you love the sound of it ? Actually, I have no idea what comes to me. Have never thought of making my own crackers before in my life ! Since it has been so hot over here, I thought probably just the right timing for drying up some homemade cracker dough. So finally, I gathered up all the ingredients and give it a go.

And here's what I did.

 Ingredients :
(A)
400gm   potatoes, mashed

(B)
300gm   tapioca flour
1 tspn  baking powder
1-1/2 tspn  salt
1/2 tspn   pepper

(C)
100ml   water
50gm   cilantro

Method :
(1)  puree ingredients (C) and set aside.
(2)  combine ingredients (B) into a big bowl and mix well.
(3)  now, combine all ingredients (A), (B) & (C) and knead till soft dough is formed.
(4) divide dough into 4 portions and roll them up separately.
(5) then steam them for 60 mins or 90 mins for bigger sizes.
(6) leave them cool before keeping them refrigerated overnight.

The next morning, withdraw cooked dough from the fridge and leave to rest for 30 minutes before start slicing them. The dough look quite like those chinese gnocchi that I made not long ago.

Next, arrange those sliced dough to a clean & dry tray and then sun dry them for 2 days. I managed to sun dry them up within a day. Just imagine how hot it is over here. Or you may dry them in a dehydrator at 50'C for about 8 hours.

Finally, heat oil to deep fry the crackers till they float to the surface. Then immediately remove and drain on paper towels. And stored the cooled crackers in containers. I think this is the most worth trying food I ever made. So, what do you think?
*
I'm sending this to Suresh & Shaz @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.
( Asian cuisine, crackers, vegan )

29 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Kristy these are so cool!!! How did you come up with this method? I would love to make homemade crackers and you always come up with such great, interesting flavors and combos! I like snacking on cracker and cheese(oops cheese is not vegan) instead of sweet snacks.

I have a question for you,(about on a cake) I wuill email you. Now I'm off to give hubby a haircut!

Angie's Recipes said...

I wouldn't have thought of making this at home...I meant...it's impossible to make them at home! You are a genius!

Aarthi said...

yummy recipe

Aarthi
http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

AikoVenus said...

Whoa - this is so cool! I love finding vegan prawn crackers in the store but this is 100% better! I might try to bake or pan-fry these though. ^^

Belinda @zomppa said...

Brilliant!! I love prawn chips but stopped eating the...and this is the perfect solution! How do you do it??

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

They are amazing but I am sure I would not have the patience to make them myself!! Diane

reanaclaire said...

Kristy, you are really something!

アンゼエリン said...

Kristy this is good.

Ann@Anncoo Journal said...

This looks awesome! Never thought this can be made into crackers :)

tigerfish said...

Interesting! I never knew crackers can be made this way.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

你真的太神了!!!!
还有什么你不会的啊??

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

I have been thinking to make prawn cracker but i stop thinking this idea as I got a very nice prawn crackers supplier..Your are brilliant, can think of veggie version, can't wait to try out. Thanks for sharing.

Chaya said...

You are too clever, making these crackers. You are amazing. These are great. Hope all is well with y ou.

Nadji said...

Original et délicieux. Bravo pour cette réalisation.
A très bientôt

Claudia said...

Beautifully light and delectable. A grand idea - you constantly amaze! (Happily)

Miriam said...

Those are homemade? They look amazing! :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

lena said...

i never thought of making my own crackers but i can tell you that i certainly admire your work here in making these vegan crackers!

Cass Tan @ 揾到食 said...

I really can't believe that this can be done at home!

Alice Law said...

Whao, look at the paper thin slices, you are so skillful w knife! Thx for sharing the recipe!

Katherine Martinelli said...

Wow, these are awesome! So creative and looks like they came out perfectly.

Hayley said...

This is a great snacks! Yumz~

Jeannie said...

I want some please:) Looks so crispy and delicious!

Rebecca Subbiah said...

wow adore Prawn crackers been years since U have had them these look awesome

edith said...

Wow I admire your effort on this one!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi
do u cook the potatoes before mashing them?

My Little Space said...

Hi Anonymous,
first of all, welcome to my humble little space. And yes to your question. You need to boil or steamed the potatoes before mashing. I prefer to slice & then get them steamed. It's easier to handle.
All the best & hope to hear from you more often.
Kristy

John said...

Very very useful thank you. I've been trying to modify the prawn cracker recipes I've found on the internet by combining tapioca and rice flour to create a dough. However the outside steams fine and the inside is raw and dry! I can only assume the prawns that have been omitted provide moisture to steam from the inside out and this is where the mashed potato comes in. I can't wait to try your recipe tomorrow :)

My Little Space said...

Hi John

Wishing you all the best.

Regards
Kristy

hanumant said...

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!





















Diwali Crackers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...