When 'Nian Gao' Meets Sago


Today is 'Chop Goh Meh' and also called as 'Yuen Xiao Jie', the last day of Chinese New Year. Click here & here for further stories. It is also the Chinese Valentine's Day. Like every year in the evening, tonnes of  Chinese will bring along their own mandarin oranges with their written wishes on and then throw them to the sea or river....hoping that their wishes will come true one day. ME!!!! Probably, I'll have to throw mine to the drain. haha..... OK, enough for that! This year my mom gave me two big 'nian gao' but not sure what to do with them. The 'nian gao' looks really fresh and still a bit soft. So, I think I would prefer to get them steam. Instead of steaming it plain, I'll try to combine it with something refreshing.

Here's what I did.

Ingredients :
300gm  sago (white), soaked for 30mins
230gm   sugar
50ml  water
Pandan leaves/screw pine leaves
300gm   grated young coconut (about half nut)
1/4 tspn  salt
*some 'nian gao', cubed

Method :
(1) combine grated coconut with salt, mix well and  steam for 10mins. Then leave cool completely.
(2) now, simmer sugar and water till dissolved with pandan leaves. Then discharge the leaves.
(3) add sugar mixture into sago and mix well. .
(4) pour sago mixture into a 9/10" tray with oil coating, then arrange 'nian gao' cubes into sago mixture.
(5) finally, steamed for 30mins over high heat.
(6) leave cool completely before cutting & coating them with steamed coconut.

Sago kuih is another favourites of mine due to the light & chewy texture. And the coconut coating is a plus.

Well, do you want to wait any longer for this ????

I also used some of the 'nian gao' by baking it with my homemade pastry puff. Don't you love it too? Slurp....
*
I'm sending this to Shaz & Suresh @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.
( nian gao, chinese cuisines, desserts, sweets )
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...