Saturday, September 5, 2009

Stir Fried Spicy Winged Bean N Brinjal With Bean curd

When I was a teenager I don't even like to touch this kind of vegetables especially sting beans, eggplants, winged beans, bitter gourd and long beans. But now, I love them all! Sometimes, I was wondering WHY? Is it that our brain has scented that our body need to intake the minerals and vitamins from these kind of plants. Have no idea!!! However, I always try to make all these veggies in one shot. So that I can have them all at a time...he he ! In making this kind of dishes, I prefer it dry and really spicy! Not too much flavour but juz nice and spicy.


Ingredients :

300gm winged beans, cut small
1 whole brinjal, cut small
some bean curd, cut small and slightly fried
a handful of dried anchovies
a few chili padi
1 tbsp chopped garlic
2 shallots, sliced
a few slices ginger


Seasoning :

2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

This is winged beans and in Malay, they called it 'kacang botol'! The Muslims usually eat them raw after or before meal as an 'Ulam'. 'Ulam' means vegetables which eaten raw.

Method :
- preheat pan or wok with 1/4 cup cooking oil.
- stir in ginger, shallot and garlic and fry untill fragrant.
- add in chillies, brinjal and winged bean, stir fry under high heat for one minute.
- then cook under medium heat untill soft.
- stir in bean curd and cook for a while, then off the heat.
- add in seasoning and stir to mix.
- finally, sprinkle fried anchovies over the top and serve.


It is such a wonderful and healthy dish to go with some brown rice. Probably, with some black pepper omelette...Ooo...yum..!

9 comments:

Chris Nyles said...

What is "brinjal"? Is it an eggplant? I miss the winged bean but I know I can't find that here. This is really a good combination and I'm sure it tastes good because you seasoned it with oyster sauce and you added fried dried anchovies on top. THe fried tofu added an extra kick to it. Good job Kristy!

My Little Space said...

Hi Chris,

Yes, brinjal, eggplant and aubergine are all the same thing..just in different shapes! Hope you enjoy juz by watching it LOL! SORRY! & Have a wonderful weekend.

Cheers, Kristy

Angie's Recipes said...

Long, light purple eggplants are exactly the same like the one I had in China. Used to eat white eggplants with curry sauce, and I remember I like to eat the left over, esp. after school, they seemed to taste so much more tasty.
Wish you a peaceful weekend too!


Angie's Recipes

My Little Space said...

Angie: Yeah, absolutely delicious for the leftover. All the eggplants already fully soak with curry sauce..so yummy!

Chow and Chatter said...

great food as ever good that you now eat your veggies!

Lyndsey said...

I have got to try this one! I love veggies, and so does my daughter (she even like brussel sprouts). But she only cares for them steamed. I'm trying to get her to add more flavor to her veggies, this might do it! Thanks!

A World in a PAN said...

I love vegetables as a main course; I had ratatouille (and cheese) for dinner last night. This sound the perfect dish for another such dinner.

Mary said...

Hi Kristy,
Thanks for dropping by. Things are working out quiet the way I had planned.
I had the winged beans growing in my garden. They make a star shape when cut into small pieces and are really yummy when simply stir fried in oil with some onions and spices.

My Little Space said...

Hi Everyone,

Glad that you all like it too! Thank you!

Mary A : Welcome back! Nice to hear from again.

Cheers, Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...