Saturday, May 26, 2012

Chocolate Wassant @ 'Da Li Shi' Bun

I first came across this chocolate wassant bread was 3 years ago but till today I still not knowing where this bread is originated. Some said it's from Japan ! Not many bread shops selling it here though. It looks pretty much like a croissant but it is NOT! This is a very low yeasted bread and yet very soft and delicious. I've found some readymade chocolate paste at the store some time ago and wait no more to give it ago......FINALLY !

So, here's the recipe.
Ingredients :
Starter Dough :
225gm   all purpose flour
1 tspn    yeast
100ml    water
(combine all ingredients to form a soft dough and let to rest for an hour or till double in size)

Main Dough :
225gm  all purpose flour
100gm  sugar
1 egg
60ml   water
70gm  butter
1 tspn  salt

*500gm   homemade chocolate paste, flatten into 6" square
(will try to post a homemade ones)

Method :
(1) once the starter dough is ready, tear into pieces and add into main ingredients.
(2) combine all ingredients and mix to form a soft dough then let to rest for an hour or till double in size.
(3) place dough to a slightly floured working table and knead till smooth, the dough should be very soft, so must handle with care.
(4) then roll out flat slightly bigger than the chocolate paste.
(5) place in chocolate paste and wrap dough over the paste till totally sealed.
(6) again roll wrapped dough into 9x13" size and fold into 3 and roll flat again, like making a pastry dough.
(7) repeat one more time and finally roll into 12x16", then cut into triangle shape (size as desired).
(8) roll each up like a swiss roll then place them to baking tray, again let to rest for 30-40 mins.
(9) brush on egg glaze then bake at preheated oven 180-185'C for about 20 mins or till brown.

I made the shape looking much like a croissant where you don't need to. It looks nice even if shorter.

This is such a mouthwatering product where ever it came from.....surely irresistible. I bet you won't want to miss this out. Enjoy & have fun !
*
I'm sending this to Wild Yeast @ Yeastspotting.

25 comments:

Pari said...

This looks lovely. I Would love to try this sometime. I just so much wish if you could send it to my event..thanks for sharing.
FOODELICIOUS
Join Me This Month 'May Event - 'ONLY' Cooking With Chocolate + 2 Cookbooks Giveaway

Rosita Vargas said...

Original esta delicia la masa espectacular me encanta,abrazos hugs,hugs.

Angie's Recipes said...

These look really cool with all the layers!

MaryMoh said...

Oh wow...that's SO beautiful! Love all the layers. I bet I can eat a few :D Looks like a lot of work to me. Kristy, I really like your baking! I'm waiting for you to open a bakery! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Dumpling Love said...

Your baking skills never cease to amaze me, Kristy. These look absolutely amazing! I love the swirl patterns you get with the chocolate =) Have a nice weekend!

Lavanya said...

Its so tempting n the layers are just perfect
Do visit my space to win the ongoing giveaway:
Pearl Earrings Giveaway

Belinda @zomppa said...

Don't even know where to begin. Layers of delight!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh wow, so many layers! Love chocolate wassant bread, yummy! Should really try this since my kids love this too....looking forward to your chocolate paste recipe. :)

Simona Mastantuono said...

surely I 'cook them soon

Small Kucing said...

Nice!!!! Great looking bet it taste even better

anne said...

These look really fantastic ! It must be very yummy with that generous chocolate paste you've added ! I'll have tea or coffee with some of that please ?! :D

Vivian Pang said...

Those layers really neat ! Can't tell is made from all-purpose flour. Nice bake!

Jeannie said...

Yes, I can see the deliciousness in the multi layers of this bun! Lovely!

Cheah said...

Bookmarked, Kristy! Love the layers of choco.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Just looking at this is making me hungry!

WokandSpoon said...

This is definitely a masterpiece! Looks a lot like a chocolate marbled croissant!

David Crichton said...

Hi Kristy, I think these could possibly be my wife's last supper! They look amazing, brilliant photos too.

I've just changed my blog theme and it's dumped everyone's email addresses. I've sent a email to everyone so that they get the "Confirm Subscription" button if you still want to get the updates.

Regards

Dave.

Merryn said...

Seriously I'm speechless. Looks so tempting my stomach is growling! If only I have a quarter of your talent!

lena said...

I know i've missed several of your posts, so i thot better come here and read your wassant bread first cos i see you hv a few wassant breads coming up. never heard of this wassant bread.But i see very beautiful layers on the interior. sounds like somthing like a baked pau, guess this must be really good!

Epicurean said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I made these a while back and they were an instant favourite. They didn't quite look as awesome as yours but it is the taste that really counts. Happy baking!

Passionate About Baking said...

Looks really yummy. I should give this a try soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Passionate About Baking said...

Kristy,
I made this last weekend. It was very good! Thanks so much for the chocolate paste recipe and the dough recipe. Even though there are many steps, but the instructions are simple and clear. I love it!

My Little Space said...

Passionate About Baking,

Thanks so much for your lovely comment. Am glad you liking it too. My kids are so craving for it and going to make them again soon.

Regards
kristy

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy,
Please advice, can Cake flour, hongkong flour or top flour replace by plain flour for this recipe?

Thanks


Cheers,

Irene

My Little Space said...

Hi Irene

Sorry for the late reply, I was away. Yes, of coz you can replace AP flour to other flour but the result may cause a bit differences. You can still try and experience the fun. Enjoy & have a great time. However, thanks so much for stopping by.
Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...