Friday, May 11, 2012

Jaffa Cake

Anyone heard of this Jaffa cake before? Well, it is pretty much new to me too. The actual jaffa cake is supposed to be something smaller, looking like biscuits. Not as huge as mine one, of coz! haha.... Jaffa cake is one of many popular snack in United Kingdom other than welsh cake. It is made of genoise sponge base, top with chewy jello and then cover with rich & delicious chocolaty coating. Isn't it interesting!

Ingredients :
Genoise sponge
6 eggs, separated
120gm  sugar
100gm  all purpose flour
10gm   corn flour

Method :
(1) beat egg white & sugar till peak form, then add in egg yolk one at a time till combined.
(2) now, fold in both flour till well mixed.
(3) pour batter to a greased 10" tray and bake at preheated oven 160'C for about 40-45mins or till skewer comes out clean.
(4) then cool cake on wire rack before using.

Konnyaku Jelly (2 x 10" tray)
900ml  water
10gm   konnyaku powder (1 pkt)
200gm  sugar
1/2 cup  marmalade jam
1/2 tspn   citric acid (powder form)

Method :
(1) combine sugar, citric acid & konnyaku powder and mix well then bring water to boil.
(2) add sugar mixture to boiling water and stir well, then add in marmalade jam and simmer till dissolved.
(3) finally, pour hot jelly to two 10" tray and leave to cool completely.

Chocolate Coating
250gm  semi sweet chocolate, chopped
200ml  heavy cream
1/2 tbsp  instant coffee powder
(dissolved coffee powder into heavy cream and then simmer till hot; off the heat, stir in chocolate till completely melted & well mixed, keep refrigerated for about an hour after cooled)

TO ASSEMBLE :
(1) top sponge with konnyaku jello and then cover with chocolate coating, and spread nicely.
(2) then keep chilled till chocolate coating is set.

I decided to use konnyaku jello for the chewy jelly layer which is so much easier and hassle free. I have thought of agar-agar but isn't suitable cause agar-agar will normally turned a bit watery after sometime. Or you may use store bought jello or gelatine or whatever suit you. So, have fun!

34 comments:

Shabs said...

Oooooh , it looks so delicious but what is konnyaku ??? Thank you for your lovely comments on the blog Kristy :D . Have a great weekend !!!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen said...

I've never heard of Jaffa Cake before....it looks marvelous though!

yummylittlecooks said...

Cake, jelly and chocolate....looks so yummy!!!

Shannon @ JustAsDelish said...

This looks to die for! at least this cake is less fattening with half of it being jelly :P just reminds me of jelly cakes that has been popular of late here.

J e l e n a said...

I grew up on Jaffa biscuits or cookies and they are still my favorite. Great job with the cake.

Tina Bk said...

I have heard of jaffa cake, but was not exactly sure what it was. Fluffy cake, tart jelly/jam and chocolate all stacked together does sound pretty tasty. However, your picture draws even more interest. Glad to pop in here and discover what a real Jaffa cake is!

anne said...

Jaffa ?! The name sounds as a tempting as that cake ! The sponge , jelly and the chocolate together makes a very fabulous dessert indeed ! :)

Her Worldly Pleasures said...

I know what Jaffa biscuits are but not sure about cakes but now I know and it looks very very delicious. Does it take a lot of time to make?

Anonymous said...

Wow.. like all in one with cake jelly and chocolate.. must be delicious !

Jeannie Tay said...

First time I heard of this Jaffa Cake, you are very good in finding unique and interesting recipes to try! Yummy!

Little Inbox said...

Hmm....this is simply delicious!

Cathy Wiechert said...

Oh my--I just licked my computer screen. Your Jaffa Cake looks to die for! That chocolate layer is just yummy...

Cheah said...

Kristy, lovely piece of cake with konnyaku jelly. Thanks for sharing!

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

This is the first time i heard about Jaffa Cake :)

Shirley Tay said...

Is this lovely cake for Mother's Day? Just wanna wish u a Happy Mother's Day with your family & be sure to head over for a mouth-watering dish + some laughter @ Surprise Mom with A Stalk of Abalone Flower On Mother’s Day!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

你的蛋糕真有水准
感谢你的分享:)

Lizzy said...

Wow, this is gorgeous!!!! Jaffa cake is a new one to me...but it looks delish!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Hmm...the perfect texture!

Rosita Vargas said...

una delicia muy linda e irresistible,abrazos hugs,hugs.

Cathleen said...

This looks absolutely mouthwatering!! I have also never heard of Jaffa cake before. Even my spell check is freaking out! :p. Glad I do now!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

My 1st time heard of this cake, I like the combination , sound so good. Happy Mother's day to you.

アンゼエリン said...

Kristy happy mother's day to you.

Me too first time heard of this cake.

Barbara Bakes said...

I've never heard of Jaffa cake. What a fun cake.

denise @ singapore shiok said...

Hello sayang :) Thanks for visiting me, want to wish you a very Happy Mother's Day too *hugs* Make sure your family treats you like a queen tomorrow ok? Your jaffa cake cantik seh! lol I have eaten jaffa biscuits before and liked them a lot, so I know I will love your jaffa cake!

Angie's Recipes said...

This looks so beautiful. Love esp. the konnyaku jelly layer!

WokandSpoon said...

There are jaffa biscuits over here - this looks like a giant jaffa biscuit. Yum!

Elin said...

Kristy...Happy Mother's Day to you and have a swell time with your kids and hubby. You deserve a wonderful day for you are the greatest mom on earth cooking so mnay wonderful dishes for them :) Have a great time !

Miriam said...

This cake is new to me too. It looks wonderful!!
Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Honey Bee Sweets said...

What a decadent cake! Wish I can have a big big slice now. ;)) also want to wish you a wonderful Mother's Day Kristy! Enjoy this day!!

Katerina said...

I haven't heard of this cake before but it doesn't matter because it looks delicious!

shaz said...

Great looking cake Kristy. I've seen jaffa cakes but never eaten one, but I've had Jaffa chocolates. Did you have to store this in the fridge? Or did the konyakku layer stay firm for a while?

My Little Space said...

Hi Everyone,

Oh wow, thanks so much for visiting and spending this lovely day with me. Actually I just got back from my in-law's place. Exhausted travelling & cooking for a big family of 9 siblings. Just imagine the noise in the house....like wet market. haha.... I'm pretty sure my in-laws are very happy.

Shaz : yes, you need to keep the cake in chilled otherwise the chocolate will melt. The konyakku works well...stand firm & steady & dry too.

Hope you all having a great day too!

Blessings
Kristy

lena said...

a very unique cake! you cooking a feast again in your in law's place?? sure you had a wonderful time! Happy mother's day to you too!!

Amy said...

Your Jaffa cake looks divine! It has all of my favorite ingredients all in one cake! Yes, this is new to me too but I'm always up to try new things...especially delicious cake like this one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...