Jaffa cake before? Well, it is pretty much new to me too. The actual jaffa cake is supposed to be something smaller, looking like biscuits. Not as huge as mine one, of coz! haha.... Jaffa cake is one of many popular snack in United Kingdom other than welsh cake. It is made of genoise sponge base, top with chewy jello and then cover with rich & delicious chocolaty coating. Isn't it interesting!
6 eggs, separated
100gm all purpose flour
10gm corn flour
(1) beat egg white & sugar till peak form, then add in egg yolk one at a time till combined.
(2) now, fold in both flour till well mixed.
(3) pour batter to a greased 10" tray and bake at preheated oven 160'C for about 40-45mins or till skewer comes out clean.
(4) then cool cake on wire rack before using.
Konnyaku Jelly (2 x 10" tray)
10gm konnyaku powder (1 pkt)
1/2 cup marmalade jam
1/2 tspn citric acid (powder form)
(1) combine sugar, citric acid & konnyaku powder and mix well then bring water to boil.
(2) add sugar mixture to boiling water and stir well, then add in marmalade jam and simmer till dissolved.
(3) finally, pour hot jelly to two 10" tray and leave to cool completely.
250gm semi sweet chocolate, chopped
200ml heavy cream
1/2 tbsp instant coffee powder
(dissolved coffee powder into heavy cream and then simmer till hot; off the heat, stir in chocolate till completely melted & well mixed, keep refrigerated for about an hour after cooled)
TO ASSEMBLE :
(1) top sponge with konnyaku jello and then cover with chocolate coating, and spread nicely.
(2) then keep chilled till chocolate coating is set.
konnyaku jello for the chewy jelly layer which is so much easier and hassle free. I have thought of agar-agar but isn't suitable cause agar-agar will normally turned a bit watery after sometime. Or you may use store bought jello or gelatine or whatever suit you. So, have fun!