Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Flaky Crusted Charcoal Tuna Bun

Frankly, I haven't been shopping at the city for ages. Gosh, you have no idea how much I missed those aromatic smell from the pastry shops. Without thinking long, I started rolling up some pastry puff dough sheets and have used one of them on my buns. What a coincidence that I have 3 cans of leftover tuna spread from hubby's previous trip. Guess, it would be perfect for some savory buns. Anyone try the ready mixed tuna spread before? It's quite delicious and hassle free to use at anytime anywhere.

So, here's what I did.
Ingredients :
Starter Dough
125gm   all purpose flour
1/2 tspn  yeast
90ml   water
(combine everything together and leave to ferment overnight)

Main Dough
400gm   bread flour
1-1/2 tspn  Bamboo charcoal powder
100gm   sugar
2 tspn  yeast
160ml  water
1 egg
Starter dough
60gm  butter
1 tspn  salt

#2 canned tuna spread (Ayam brand)
# 1 homemade pastry puff recipe (cut into 4x4" /pce)
    or 1 pkt ready readymade pastry puff (Kawan brand)
#  1 egg yolk for glazing

Method :
(1) combine all the main ingredients till form a soft dough but remember only add in butter & salt after dough is formed. To prevent salt from killing the yeast.
(2) then set aside to rest for an hour or till double in size.
(3) once it's ready, punch dough to release air and knead till smooth then divide into 10 portions.
(4) flatten each to fill in tuna spread, sealed & then place it to baking tray.
(5) top the nicely cut pastry puff to bun dough and let them rest for 20mins, then brush on egg glazing & add sesame seeds.
(6) finally, bake at preheated oven 200'C for about 20-25 mins or till brown.


Do you think you can resist such a bread? Sometimes, it's good to be greedy too. Just because of my greediness for placing in the overloaded tuna spread. The bun looks even more interesting & irresistible. Not to mention about the crust.....guess, you should know how it tastes like! *wink* :o)
*
I'm sending this to Wild Yeast @ Yeastspotting.

22 comments:

Jeannie said...

Unique buns, you are very good at creating new recipes! Looks delicious and the dough so fluffy!

Belinda @zomppa said...

I've never tried this before - but so want to - how unique!

アンゼエリン said...

Avery authentic and unique buns. Love the way you slits the puff pastry.

Shobha said...

Interesting..never heard of this charcoal powder.

Lyndsey said...

I love the looks of this pastry, I can imagine how good it smells! What does the charcoal powder do for it? I don't recall ever seeing it before!

Angie's Recipes said...

They look terrific! Gotta find some charcoal.

Pegasuslegend said...

love this one!

蓝色小厨 said...

Look yummy and so special!

Alice Law said...

Wow, your bakes are so beautiful, I feel like hvg one too! YUM!

Barbara said...

Never have had mixed tuna spread, Kristy. But I love your inventive tuna bun!

Claudia said...

Leave it to you to come up with such a unique and flavor-filled recipe. I bet the pastry shops in the city cannot compete with the aromas in your home.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

You can make such nice bread, don't need to go outside pastry shop lar, hehehe..next time I know to add puff pastry on the bread.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I have that same cutter for pastry :) I love the shape it makes. I've never heard of charcoal powder before but I do love tuna!

TasteHongKong said...

Yes, looks irresistible from top to bottom. I doubt if you still need to tour those pastry shops.

love2dine said...

omg i want.

anne said...

I've been eyeing these beautiful pastry from my dashboard ! It looks really unique ! And creative , too ;) I've seen some charcoal powder from the shop which I usually frequented , very unusual ingredient !And there is no such thing as too much tuna in a bread or better yet in that yumminess ! :D

Juliana said...

SO interesting these buns...never used bamboo charcoal powder...like the layer of the puff pastry. Very creative Kristy.
Hope you are having a great week :)

SerenaB said...

This bread looks amazing! I love the crust over the top! So very tasty!

Sylvia said...

Clever idea, looks beautiful, Thanks for share

Rosita Vargas said...

Linda forma y muy original,no conozco el polvo de carbón me imagino una delicia averiguaré,abrazos hugs,hugs.

Lizzy said...

Wow, these are stunning!!! Beautifully done~

lena said...

i did something quite similar to these too but never take pictures cos i was just playing with it..i did not make the buns but just use sliced bread and the pastry puff. Thanks for sharing, kristy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...