Monday, June 15, 2009

Apple Strudel

Here, it is ! My baked apple strudel as I have promised to show you in my today posting. I'm using the flaky pastry dough for skin. I always kept extra homemade pastry in my freezer; so that I don't have to do it at the same day when I need them. As you know, you need to spend lots of time in proceeding the folding process.

Ingredients :

Pastry Dough

250gm all purpose flour
130ml ice water
15gm shortening
1 tbsp vinegar
200gm butter, leave to room temperature

Method :
- mix flour and shortening in a mixing bowl untill well combined.
- slowly add in ice water mixed with vinegar untill form a dough.
- knead the dough untill smooth and elastic and then rest for 10 mins.
- sprinkle some flour onto butter and wrap it with a large plastic wrapper.
- slightly roll flat the butter and place it back to the fridge to rest for 10 mins.

- then roll flat the pastry dough and place in the cold butter.
- fold in the edge and seal well.
- then roll out the dough nice and flat, not too thin.
- fold the short sides to the middle but don't overlap.
- roll out flat again after the folding.
- whenever you feel the dough is sticky, chill in fridge and let it harden again.
- continue the folding process for 2-3 times.
- after the final folding, wrap the pastry dough with a plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for an hour or keep it into the freezer for further use.

Ingredients :

Apple fillings

6 small apples, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tspn cinnamon powder
1/2 tspn lemon rind
2 tbsp tapioca flour

Methods :

- add all ingredients (except tapioca flour) into a saucepan.
- and simmer over medium heat untill the apple turned soft.
- off the heat and add in the tapioca flour, stir to combine.
- leave cool.
- roll flat the pastry dough and place it onto a baking tray.
- pour the apple mixtures onto the pastry dough and wrap it up.
- brush on the egg glaze and bake for 25 mins at 210'c.

- finally, sprinkle the top with some icing sugar and serve hot.

You know what my son told me after eating it! He said :"This is super yummy, mom! You can open up a shop or something !". Oh.... how sweet of him!

4 comments:

Mary said...

What a gorgeous strudel. I think your son is pointing you in the right direction.

Selba said...

Yummmm... love apple strudel.

My Little Space said...

Hello Selba, Thank you for joining in.

Joycee said...

Selba,
Thanks so much for visiting GrannyMountain today. This is a fabulous recipe that I will definately try. We share a love of ecology and green! I will be visiting often...
joy c.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...