Sunday, June 21, 2009

Denmark Toast

I've planned to make this recipe since a long time ago. At the beginning, I don't have much confidence and wondering if I can do this. After so many times of trying out danish pastry and puff pastry. I think I'm ready for this. So, I started lining out all the ingredients and here I go.....

Ingredients :
(A)

1-3/4 cups milk, warmed
2 tspn yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1 egg
1 cup all purpose flour

- add in sugar and yeast to the warmed milk and rest for 5 mins.
- add in egg and stir to combine.
- then stir into the flour and mix well, leave to rest for 1/2 hour.

(B)

4 cups all purpose flour / bread flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tspn salt
3 tbsp butter

(C)

200gm butter
3 tbsp flour

- roughly mix the ingredients together.
- place the mixture in between a plastic sheet and roll out flat.
- keep in fridge.

Method :

- add in mixture (A) into (B) to form a soft dough, except butter.
- knead well and then add in butter, knead another few mins.
- roll out flat to make a square shape.
- place item (C) onto the flat dough and seal all edges.
- then roll out flat to make a rectangle shape.
- fold in three and roll flat again to make another rectangle shape again.
- then wrap it up with a plastic sheet and keep in fridge for 30mins.
- repeat the folding for about another 3-4 times.
- chill out the dough whenever you feel that is difficult to handle.
- keep in the fridge for an hour after the final folding.
- then shape up the dough and place it to the tray.
- final prove : 1/2 hour.
- brush on the egg glaze.
- bake at 200'c for 25-30 mins or untill golden brown.

I have added on some cheddar cheese to one of the toast. Oh dear, the one with cheese tasted absolutely wonderful. Since this is my mother-in-law's favourite, I'm planning to bring these home to visit my parents-in-law later in this evening.

Crispy outer layer plus soft inner layer, additional of the heavy cheese and butter aroma ! Just think about it !!

5 comments:

Christina Kim said...

this looks so tasty!! it looks almost like challah bread.

thank you for your comment on my blog... it's terrible that you've had two relatives who have passed away from the same issue. there has got to be more education about this!

finsmom said...

Love the braid! I just made my first on Friday, and loved it! Yours look amazing!

nyonya pendek melaka said...

thk you for the recipe, this looks wonderful! my sister will be happy as she has been searching for denmark toast recipe. thks again!

Mary said...

This looks beautiful. It's not unlike challah. Thanks for sharing this with us. Have a wonderful day.

Culinary Wannabe said...

Beautiful!! These turned out so perfect. Thanks for stopping by my site as well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...