1/2 cup yellow dhall
4-1/2 cup water
1 onion, sliced
1 tbsp chopped ginger
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1/2 tspn turmeric powder
1 carot, cubed
2 tomatoes, cubed
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
salt & pepper to taste
1 tspn mustard seeds
1/2 tspn cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
3 dried chillies, washed & cut into half
- boil water and dhall for 1/2 hour over medium heat.
- preheat a another pot with 2 tbsp cooking oil.
- stir in all the spices, garlic and ginger, fry untill fragrant.
- add in all the remain ingredients, then pour in the boiling dhall.
- let it simmer for another 1/2 hour over low heat.
- add in salt and pepper to taste.
- the texture of dhall should be a little creamy(I like it this way).I prefer my dhall a little soft and creamy but not chunky. If you want your dhall to look more chunky reduce the water when boiling it. And then cut down the boiling time. I'm having it with french bread and Lebanese bread....yummy!
Again, wishing you all HAPPY DEEPAVALI ! Cheers!