Saturday, October 10, 2009

Light Melon Soup

Melon or winter melon or sweet squash is a good source of vitamin B, C, rich in beta carotene, calcium and so on. And it helps to clear the heat and toxin, promotes urination, reduce water retention, stop cough, reduce fat, improves metabolism and so on. And that is why melon soup is a perfect recipe for the hot and humid day. I'm not sure if it is suitable for winter or you may not find this during the winter. However, it's a good try for something so nutritious!

Ingredients :

1 pce chicken whole leg
3.5L water
400gm melon, cleaned & cut in chunk
carrots, cut in chunk
100gm dried oyster
100gm da tou cai, preserved 'da cai' (salty)
Chinese sweet dates (not red dates)
crashed peppercorn
Method :

- prepared boiling water to water bath the chicken meat, leave aside.
- preheat a pot with 3.5L water.
- place in all the ingredients.
- let it boil over high heat for 15mins, switch to low heat for 1 hour.
- add in salt to taste if you're not using 'da tou cai'.

I used to cook soup with chicken bones together with all other ingredients. Save up lots of time in making chicken broth/stock. You can actually cook everything in one shot!
This is the melon I'm using for the soup. You can use it either in sweet soup for dessert or salty soup to go with rice or vermicelli or maybe noodle!
Now, this is what I'm trying to tell you about....preserved veggie called 'da tou cai'. It's imported from China. If you add this to the soup, the flavour is much more stronger & yummy!

Before ending this, I would like to thank Alison from Alison's Trials for passing me all those wonderful awards. In return, I would like to give her the following friendly award for being friends and sharing. It's yours, Alison!

14 comments:

Smita Srivastava said...

Thanks for visiting my blog ( http://littlefoodjunction.blogspot.com/) n putting in ur lovely comments.
You have a nice blog , The Blueberry bread n Yam pastry recipe looks really captivating .

Chow and Chatter said...

oh this looks good and light

Gera @ SweetsFoods said...

Definitively yummy and a nutritive soup :)

Cheers!

Gera

Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ said...

I don't know if we have that kind of melon here. But I bet the soup is delicious! Such interesting flavors.

alison said...

a very tasty soup!and i have some awards for you on my blog!

Divina Pe said...

My father used to cook this for us. Something light and still tasty.

alison said...

my little,thank you very much,i'm so happy to your friend!

Angie's Recipes said...

This is a right soup for any season. I miss these melon.

Angie's Recipes

Donna-FFW said...

This sounds so tasty, fresh, and delicious.

Heavenly Housewife said...

I never heard of melon soup before. Thats an interesting melon type you have there, I've not seen it in the UK. Sounds very healthy and good though :)

My Little Space said...

Smita : Thanks and welcome to my little space. Glad that you like it too. Hope to hear from you more often.

Rebecca : Thanks!

Gera : Yes, it is! You should try it sometime.

Reeni : Thanks you very much lol!

Alison : Thank you very much for the awards. Really appreciate it.

Divina : Reminds you of your late father!

Angie : Sorry, I can't send it by DHL...They complaint the melon will be watering when it's over ripe and mess up their storage box...he he! Anyway, you can use radish to replace the melon instead.

Donna : Hope you'll try it someday lol!

H/Housewife : Laduree, thanks for the mail. So glad to hear from you. Maybe you can use radish instead!

Have a wonderful weekend & Cheers!

Kristy

Mary said...

This looks really light and tasty. Your recipes are always a treat for me. I can't always get the ingredients you use, but I have fun reading them.

MaryMoh said...

Just what I need in this cold weather now. I love this soup very much but sadly can't find the type of melon here. I guess I need to go to big Chinatown. This is a simple, delicious soup that we often have back home.

My Little Space said...

Mary : You can always replace it with radish or turnip instead. And other ingredients you can get from the Asian store.

MaryMoh : I know, most of them also can't find melon over their side. So, I suggested to replace it with radish or turnip. You can do the same! Thanks for stopping by.

Have a nice day & Cheers,

Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...